Noodle with Fish Soup (Mote Hin Kar)
In Myanmar, Noodle with Fish Soup is known as Mote Hin Kar. Mote means Noodle. And Hin Kar means soup. Mote Hin Kar is one of favourite breakfasts in Myanmar. We can buy mote hin kar from teashop, street shop and market every morning. It sells between 200 kyats to 500 kyats. Mote Hin Kar soup is made with cat fish. It is sweet and tasty. I learnt Mote Hin Kar soup recipe from my Aunty. She is a good cook and I love her cooking style. Now let me explain the recipe step by step.
Mote Hin Kar Ingredients
- 1Kg thin rice noodle
- 640g cleaned cat fish
- 1 sliced banana stem (outer layers discarded, inner part sliced)
- 100g roasted rice flour (stir with 100g of water)
- 160g chicken pea (boil until tender and blend with blender)
- Note: Keep chicken pea boiled stock to reuse later
- Springs of fresh cilantro, mint , chopped
- 10 fried pea
- 10 duck egg (boil until cooked)
- 20 peeled Onion
Fish Paste Ingrdients
- 320g chopped onion
- 150g chopped garlic
- 80g chopped ginger
- 2 stalks lemon grass, thick bottom part only, outer layers discarded, inner part minced
- 160g vegetable oil
- 2 ground dried red chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 headed tablespoon black pepper
- Cooking recipes
1. Boil cat fish with (water(300g), fishsauce(1/3 cup), turmeric(half teaspoon), lemon grass(1)) for 5-7 minutes until lightly cooked. Keep the fish stock to reuse later.
2. Then remove the fishes from boiling pot, debone and skin, then flake flesh.
3. In a pot, add water (300g), turmeric (1 teaspoon) and sliced banana stems, and marinate.
Fish Paste Cooking Method
1. Heat oil in a large wok. Fry onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass until fragrant.
2. Add Chilli paste, turmeric. Add fish fillet, black pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until fish meat are cooked.
3. Add salt (1 teaspoon), chicken powder (1 teaspoon) and then remove the wok from the heat.
Mote Hin Kar Cooking Method
1. Heat a large pot. Add fish paste, chicken pea stock, fish stock, water (2 liters), 2 lemon grass and stir until boil.
2. Add roasted rice flour, blended chicken pea then stir well.
3. Add fish sauce (1cup), salt (1 tablespoon), sugar (1 tablespoon).
4. Then add sliced banana stems and cook until tendered.
5. After banana stems become tendered, add boiled duck egg and black pepper (half tablespoon).
6. Add onion at last and stir 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve with noodle, fired pea, cilantro, mint and add 1 cup of fish soup.